Free business registration on ADCgo.com
Bugath - 1955-1956
The last bugatti ever made was a single-seat grand prix racing car that appeared only once in competition. Put together too quickly because of lack of funds, the 251 was underpowered for its task, held the road poorly and was pronounced a death trap by its driver.
Top speed of about 160 mph
engine typedrivetrain: Dual-overhead-cam, in-line 8-cylinder
displacement 2,432 cc (2.4 l) power rating 275 hp transmission 4-speed manual
chassis: Coil-spring suspension; Disc brakes
ettore bugattis surviving son, roland, hired gioacchino colombo, who was responsible for the first ferrari engines and the alfa romeo alfetta, to design a grand prix car. Colombos design, which was executed by pierre marco, called for a tubular-framed short, wide car, with a rigid tubular front axle centrally guided by a pin that moved in a slot. The de dion final drive had the driving shafts separate from- the rigid rear axle. Suspension was by remotely mounted coil springs. The engine was a 2.4-litre twin-overhead-cam straight eight-cylinder mounted transversely behind the driver but in front of the rear axle.
debut and finale
two bugatti 251 racing cars were built. They were tested in october 1955, and the earlier of the two was entered in the french grand prix
in april 1956. Maurice trintignant drove it for 18 laps before retiring with suspension trouble. The cars were never seen again until acquired for a museum.
The last bugatti was the 251 grand prix car, raced only once. Both examples now reside in a museum in mulhouse, france.
Add business to ADCgo.com